New science column for kids available

Kelly M Kershner kkershne at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Fri Jul 1 11:54:47 EST 1994

I write to introduce a new, illustrated, weekly science column for kids --
"Smart Stuff with Twig Walkingstick."

"Smart Stuff with Twig Walkingstick" is available FREE to print media from Ohio
State University's Section of Communications and Technology. Our news unit has
two major goals for the column. First, we aim to spark kids' interest in
science, with the long-term goal of helping improve scientific literacy..
Second, we aim to teach kids that newspapers and magazines are valuable sources
of information.

Topics for "Smart Stuff" fall in five broad areas: plants, animals, insects,
food/nutrition and environment. The column is written in the voice of Twig. Big
scientific "mumbo-jumbo" words are taboo. The target audience is kids age 9 to
12.

Recent columns have answered the following questions:
Why does popcorn pop?
Do bugs freeze to death in the winter?
Why do dogs chase their tails?
What causes a four-leafed clover?
Why do birds sing in the morning?
Why eat breakfast?
Why do so many things live in the rainforest?
How do tree rings tell a tree's age?
Do carrots really help you see better?
What is charcoal?
Can seeds grow in your stomach?
Why do mosquito bites itch?

One side point: Twig Walkingstick is an official driver on the "information
superhighway." Kids who read the column and have access to the Internet or a
commercial network service can send Twig e-mail questions at:
Twig at agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu

Again, this column is FREE to print media. Tell your local papers about it.
If you're interested in getting more information about "Smart Stuff with Twig
Walkingstick," send an e-mail message to Twig at Twig at agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu
or call me, Kelly Kershner, at Ohio State at (614) 292-2011.