Source for gamma-glutamylcysteine?

Roger Winters winters at saucer.cc.umr.edu
Tue Jul 12 15:52:44 EST 1994

[ Article crossposted from sci.bio ]
[ Author was Roger Winters ]
[ Posted on Fri, 8 Jul 1994 12:38:05 GMT ]

I have developed a method for analysis of biological thiols (glutathione,
cysteine, homocysteine, cysteinylglycine, and gamma-glutamylcysteine)
using HPLC with fluorescent detection.  The method is working fine for the
other thiols, but I'm having trouble finding gamma-Glu-Cys that's pure
enough to use to prepare standards.  I've noticed in a rather old paper
(over 5 years) that gamma-Glu-Cys was purchased from a company called Vega
Biochemicals in Tucson, AZ.  So far, I've not been able to find a phone
number for Vega Biochemicals.  I was wondering if anybody knew anything
about this company, or if anyone knew where I could obtain pure
gamma-Glu-Cys.  I know I can prepare gamma-Glu-Cys by using oxidized
glutathione and carboxypeptidase, but it would be much simpler for me if I
could just obtain the compound already prepared and purified.  If anyone
knows anything please e-mail (winters at umr.edu) or post.  Thanks.

Roger