Eating grasshoppers---any entomologists or anyone have any info??

James Mahaffy mahaffy at dordt.edu
Wed Jul 13 11:05:22 EST 1994

Adrian Riskin (riskin at nauvax.ucc.nau.edu) wrote:
: Does anyone know of any information on eating grasshoppers?  In particular,
: which types are good to eat, how does one cook them, can they be eaten raw,
: etc.

: some entomology newsgroups, because I know that some entomologists are in
: favor of bug eating, but I couldn't find any.

There are a couple of good lists. One is entomo-l at uoguelph.ca I assume
you would subscribe by writing listserv at the same address. I am not
sure of how to subscribe but the list is there and active.

in Eritrea (East Africa) and the migratory locust were eaten over
there.  You did, however, have to pull off the head and digestive tract
(which is bitter - why Americans try and chocolate cover their insects
that have intestines in).  If I recall right, they were fried. The
locusts could then stored almost indefinitely and were a great snack. It
is also my impression that not all locusts or grasshoppers are edible so
be sure you are eating the right ones.
James F. Mahaffy                   e-mail: mahaffy at dordt.edu
Sioux Center, Iowa 51250