apoptosis

LOCKSHIN, RICHARD A YPRLBIO at sjumusic.stjohns.edu
Fri Jul 15 12:12:29 EST 1994

In article <2vrg7n$a15 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> Clemens Suter-Crazzolara <un691cs at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de> writes:
>my boss gave me a nice topic for a literature seminar: "apoptosis / molecular
>markers". could anybody give me some pointers to a nice and recent
>review, or be helpful in any other way ?
>
>thanks, clemens
>.
>.
that covers only about 4000 articles.  For definitions of cell death
look up papers by me, P.G. Clarke, A. Wyllie, H. R. Horvitz (Ann Rev
cell biol) etc.  for genes active in cell death, none of which has
been proven unique, try H.R. Horvitz & J. Yuan, H. Steller (recent
in Dev. Biol.) M. Tenniswood.  For oncogenes such as bcl2, try
S.J. Korsmeyer, DE Bredesen, S. Lowe, G. Nunez.  Extracellular
control:  M. Raff, DR Green, R. Pittman.  Metabolism:  Pittman &
A. Tolkovsky.  Genes related to immune system, Peter Krammer, G.
Evan; other neural stories:  E. M. Johnson, R. Oppenheim, J. Truman,
M. Chalfie.  Transglutaminase:  L. Fesus, P. Davies, M. Piacentini.
Development and embryology:  Z. Zakeri, T. Knudsen, P. Chambon.
Apoptosis & aids:  L. Montagnier, M. Piacentini.  DNAse:  A.
CDWyllie, F. Oberhammer, W. Bursch. There have been many reviews
in major journals (Ann Revs) and Trends in Genetics, & Trends in
cell biol.  Check out references to end labeling (in situ, TUNEL
technique for DNA markers.  Otherwise, morphology is perhaps the
best marker.  Protein synthesis characterizes programmed cell death.
No specific gene marks it.  There are several meetings per year
on it, and there will be a Gordon Conf. next year.  Also, I tried
to move discussions of apoptosis to cell biology, but there is more
action at bionet.molbiol.ageing.
Richard A. Lockshin Dept. Biol. Sci. St. John's Univ. 8000 Utopia
Parkway Jamaica NY 11439 USA email rick at sjubiol.stjohns.edu or
yprlbio at sjumusic.stjohns.edu.  phone 718: 990-1854; fax 718:
380-8543 (380-0353 until the other one gets fixed).