CALL FOR DISCUSSION: MOLLUSCS/bionet.molbio.molluscs

BIOSCI Administrator biosci-help at NET.BIO.NET
Mon Jul 18 15:00:08 EST 1994

We have received a proposal below for a new newsgroup,

MOLLUSCS/bionet.molbio.molluscs

Please note that this name was requested instead of
bionet.organisms.molluscs because of a desire to limit the discussion
to mollusc DNA research and not confuse the group with another more
general mollusc LISTSERV.

Discussion on the following proposal will now be open through 31 July
on BIOFORUM/bionet.general (*not* on BIONEWS/bionet.announce).  For
those who are not on the BIOFORUM/bionet.general newsgroup currently,
either read bionet.general on USENET or contact one of the following
biosci addresses to sign up by e-mail:

Subscription Address                 Location
--------------------                 --------
biosci at daresbury.ac.uk               Europe, Africa, and Central Asia
biosci at net.bio.net                   Americas and the Pacific Rim

One warning, however: BIOFORUM/bionet.general is a "chatty" newsgroup
and many other items will be discussed there besides this newsgroup
proposal.  USENET news access is definitely better than e-mail if you
want to monitor only this discussion.

Discussion Guidelines
---------------------
Please do not post one-line messages saying things like "I am in favor
of such a newsgroup".  We will collect votes later.  The discussion
period is an opportunity for anyone to bring up reservations about the
proposed charter below and to propose modifications prior to the vote.
If the charter is perfect as is, then there is no need for anyone to
say anything!!!

The newsgroup discussion leader may submit a revised proposal in light
of the discussion, and the new charter would be included in the call
for votes which will go out on 1 August (Newsgroup Discussion leaders -
please note this deadline - if no revisions are received before the
deadline, the original charter will be voted on.).

Please be aware that only one vote is counted per e-mail address, so
it is necessary to have your own account in order to vote.  Multiple
votes from the same address are not accepted.  If you are interested
in the following newsgroup, but do not have an e-mail address of your
own, please obtain one from your computer center before the call for
votes is issued.

Proposed e-mail addresses:  molluscs at net.bio.net
                            molluscs at daresbury.ac.uk

Discussion leader:  Dr. Elizabeth Grace Boulding
                    Dept. of Zoology
                    University of Guelph
                    Guelph, ON
                    N1G 2W1
                    Canada
                    telephone: (519) 824-4120 (x4961)
                    FAX: (519) 767-1656
                    email: boulding at uoguelph.ca

Proposal for moving the newsgroup Mollusc Molecular News to bionet:

The Mollusc Molecular News is a newsgroup with approximately 200
members whose research involves working with mollusc DNA.  Past topics
of discussion have included PCR and RAPD primers that are useful for
molluscs, dna isolation methods that are helpful in removing mollusc
mucus from DNA, and changes in mitochondrial gene order among
different groups of molluscs.  I also compile a hard copy newsletter
over email every year and mail it out via Canada Post to everyone on
our mailing list.  I agree to continue as discussion leader once our
group is moved to bionet.  We would like status as a full-fledged
newsgroup from the beginning so our postings can be archived and
available through USENET.

Dr. Elizabeth Grace Boulding