bionet.molbio.molluscs/organisms vs. molbio

Dick Vogt vogt at tbone.biol.scarolina.edu
Mon Jul 18 20:21:11 EST 1994

>Please note that this name was requested instead of
>bionet.organisms.molluscs because of a desire to limit the discussion
>to mollusc DNA research and not confuse the group with another more
>general mollusc LISTSERV.

I comment only because of being partly responsible for creating a
newsgroup with the name organism in it: bionet.organism.zebrafish.  I
guess the point was to use organism to cluster the "model system"
organisms together.  Probably unnecessary, given the relatively few
bionet newsgroups.  Creating more sub-subgroups (even our "creation") does
seem kind of redundant.  I expect most of the zebrafish chat will be of a
molecular biological or cell biological nature.  If you feel the need to
limit your chat to molbio stuff, why not at least reverse the order:
bionet.molluscs.molbio.  Otherwise, molluscs becomes a subset of molbio
which could really set a bizarre precedence.  Otherwise use organism or
nothing (as all the other organism groups are doing).  Just a thought...
--
Richard Vogt (Internet: vogt at biol.scarolina.edu) (803) 777-8998
Department of Biology, University of South Carolina, Columbia SC 29208