help, please

Ed Rybicki ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Fri Jul 22 16:23:10 EST 1994

In article <30jn5g$1c7 at masala.cc.uh.edu> bchs1b at Elroy.UH.EDU (Michael Benedik) writes:
>Subject: Re: help, please

>In article <30j7kq$afi at clarknet.clark.net>, jbesser at clark.net (James D. Besser) writes:
>>Help!
>>
>>I'm an author working on a project that requires some scientific
>>expertise, and I need some EXPERT help.
>>
>>Specifically, I have to answer this question: why do genetically
>>altered/engineered/fiddled with fruits and vegitables taste so bad?

>First of all there are virtually no genetically engineered fruits or
>vegetables on the market. The only exception is the new Flavr-Savr tomato
>which is being test marketed in a few places. Genetic engineering being
>the technique of intoducing new genes or altering existing genes in
>an organism.

>However I suspect the most dramatic loss of taste has to do with technology
>of modern agriculture and not breeding.

Hold on a bit - this presupposes that they really DO taste bad, which has by
no means been demonstrated!!  I have it on good authority that the Flavr-Savr
tomato(e for Quayle nostalgics) tastes fine, as did the (illegally tasted)
transgenic papayas grown at Cornell's experimental farm in 1990.  And the
Chinese have been commercially smoking transgenic tobacco for a couple of
years with no complaints.  And a commercial release of transgenic
strawberries will occur here in a couple of days, and apparently they are
GOOD.  So don't go finding reasons for something that isn't even an issue yet,
please!

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD             |       "Lord, won't you buy me       |
 | (ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za)      |                                     |
 | Dept Microbiology           |         A Mer-ce-des Benz..."       |
 | University of Cape Town     |                                     |
 | Private Bag, Rondebosch     |   "My friends all drive Porsches    |
 | 7700, South Africa          |                                     |
 | fax: 27-21-650 4023         |         I must make amends..."      |
 | phone: 650-3265             |     (Janis Joplin, Pearl, 1971)     |