Lipase Test

Norman Suguitan suguitan at ucssun1.sdsu.edu
Fri Jul 22 20:54:20 EST 1994

I have been doing a lipase test on Bacillus coagulans bacteria for
a Microbiology class using the Tributhyrine disc, and have been getting
a mixed result.  Sometimes, the disc turns to yellow  after inoculating
it with the bacteria and incubating at 37 degrees Celsius for 20 mins.
Other times, the disc stays pink.  What I have been doing wrong?  How
critical is it to put a loopful (lots)  of bacteria as opposed to
just a touch of bacteria onto the disc?\

thanks
normanb

suguitan at ucssun1.sdsu.edu