Fruit and Veggie Flavor

Jimkoch jlk9 at cornell.edu
Tue Jul 26 08:01:46 EST 1994

While at Davis, I worked on tomato fruit ripening.  What Tom Bjorkman said
about the breeding was true.  If I go to the supermarket, I go to the roma
tomatoes - or any pear shaped processing type.  Most breeders do not even
look at soluble solids [sugars, organic acids, flavanoids] that give the
fruit their flavor.  Processing tomatoes are also less messy because the
jelly does not squirt all over the place.  When I started my PhD, I was able
to browse through the fields in Davis and pick out the best tasting tomatoes
to start my work [UC82B, marketed by a major seed company now, forget the
name].  I am astonished by the way some of the food crops get into the
market by comparison to bad varieties, the standard fresh-market tomato is
Rutgers, Ugh!!!  The fruit is not uniform, the vine is a mess, and it is not
resistant to the most common pests, yet we are required to work with it
because it is the standard for comparison.

jim koch