Differential Display

szcooley at chip.ucdavis.edu szcooley at chip.ucdavis.edu
Mon Jul 25 19:40:17 EST 1994

yd128 at albnyvms.bitnet wrote:
: Hello everyone:  I am working on differential display.  On the gel, I do see some specific bands.  After cut these bands, reamplified by PCR, I did Northern Blot using the PCR rpoducts as probe.  However, I have not getten any positive bands in Northern
 Blot.  Does anybody work use differential display?  What is the possibility of false positive?  Any suggestion.  e-mail to yd128 at albanyvms.
: Thanks.

Hi, you can definately get false positives. In fact 1/3 of the bands I
reamplified failed to hybridize, but I did a reverse Northern (ie probe
hot cDNA onto a blot of the reamplified fragments. Yet I would not call
these false positives. The message level may simply be below the
detection limit of the blot. Others here at Davis also find that a large
number of fragments fail to hybridize.

Mike Cooley mbcooley at ucdavis.ucdavis.edu