Help: homogenizing evergreen needles

James E Gawel waterboy at athena.mit.edu
Tue Jul 26 15:34:47 EST 1994

Due to small sample size and number of samples, I need to find a way to homogenize
evergreen needles quickly and efficiently.  Ground glass pestles and tubes are
too temperamental and fragile.  I have talked to people at Brinkmann Instruments
about their Polytron homogenizer and it sounds like it should work.  Does anyone
out there have any experience with this product, and do you think that it is
possible to homogenize whole spruce and fir needles directly without prior work.
Blenders and mills require too big of a sample size for me.

					Thanks in advance for your info,
							Jim Gawel
							MIT