GUANIDINE THIOCYNATE

Helge Weissig helgew at ljcrf.edu
Wed Jul 27 12:57:43 EST 1994

In article <1994Jul26.073849.23932 at ciba-geigy.ch>, bmontg at ciba.com (Al
Montgomery) wrote:

> I cant find any reference to Guanidine Thiocynate in any of the texts to
which I
> have immediate reference so I thought I would try this 'information
highway' thing
> out and see if anyone can help me.
>
> My question is: What is the function of guanidine thiocynate in cell lysis?
>
> Sorry if this is the wrong group but none of the others really seemed
appropriate
> either...
>
> Thanks for any help.

Dear Al,

   I crossposted this to methods and reagents...

GUITC is simply a very chaotropic reagent denaturing proteins and thereby
effectively inhibiting proteases and nucleases.

I dug out the following reference, maybe it is more authoritive (haven't
read it myself :))
               Chirgwin, J.J. et al., Biochemistry 18:5294 (1979)

good luck,
Helge

Helge WEISSIG                              e-mail: helgew at ljcrf.edu
La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation        phone: (619) 455 6480 x253
10901 N. Torrey Pines Rd.                  FAX: (619) 455 0181
La Jolla, CA 92037
U.S.A.

     God invented surfing, so that the really talented people
     would not rule the world. - unknown