More Info on London Streptococcus ?

Sebastian W. Bunka seb at i102pc1.vu-wien.ac.at
Wed Jun 1 03:03:40 EST 1994

Richard Burge (R.Burge at bay.cc.kcl.ac.uk) wrote:
: In article <CqD5EE.2K8 at usenet.ucs.indiana.edu> jgraham at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
: (the End) writes:

: >In the absence of the pending bionet.microbiology, has anyone more
: >information on the recent outbreak of suspected hemolytic Streptococcus

: It's a beta-haemolytic group A streptococcus. There are no indications that

: How can a bacterium suddenly become so much more virulent? I saw something

I just heard a microbiologist from Bonn (near Cologne in Germany) saying,
that the complications are seen in england arise with a mixed infection
of group-A Streptococci and another *anaerobic* Streptococcus (which
is mostly overseen by the diagnosticians, because this one is hard to
cultivate/not routinely detectable).
Propably, it's a real *newspaper* epidemic .... such cases are known for
many, many years all over the world...

SWB

--

            `oo'