More Info on London Streptococcus ?

Sebastian W. Bunka seb at
Wed Jun 1 03:03:40 EST 1994

Richard Burge (R.Burge at wrote:
: In article <CqD5EE.2K8 at> jgraham at
: (the End) writes:

: >In the absence of the pending bionet.microbiology, has anyone more
: >information on the recent outbreak of suspected hemolytic Streptococcus

: It's a beta-haemolytic group A streptococcus. There are no indications that

: How can a bacterium suddenly become so much more virulent? I saw something

I just heard a microbiologist from Bonn (near Cologne in Germany) saying,
that the complications are seen in england arise with a mixed infection
of group-A Streptococci and another *anaerobic* Streptococcus (which
is mostly overseen by the diagnosticians, because this one is hard to
cultivate/not routinely detectable).
Propably, it's a real *newspaper* epidemic .... such cases are known for
many, many years all over the world...

          ( O  O )
             vv \\
		    \\		  email:
                      [ Sebastian.Bunka at ]
                        phone:                   FAX:
                +43-1-71155260          +43-1-7149110
Location: earth, europe, austria, vienna  Inst. of Bacteriology  Vet.Univ.