Fetal Tissue Research

mhollowa at ccmail.sunysb.edu mhollowa at ccmail.sunysb.edu
Fri Jun 3 12:02:59 EST 1994

In article <2sl2ge$2qa at rebecca.albany.edu> tivol at tethys.ph.albany.edu writes:

>That, I suppose, is why *they* should care.  My view is that tissue is tissue
>and if a good use can be made of something which otherwise would be discarded
>it would be foolish and even against my religion *not* to make use of it.

The problem, I believe, is not religious teaching, even among those
who say they object because of it.  There's nothing in
Judeo/Christian teachings, for instance, that precludes organ
donation.  Yet there seems to be a large number of people who'll
insist that there is.  The real problem is a strong distrust of the
medical profession.  Religious objection is just a convenient
excuse to rationalize these vague feelings.

Somehow, the public has to be made to believe that organ and tissue
donation, allocation, and transplantation can be done ethically.
After all, anatomical gift laws were passed in the early `80's not
because there was rampant commericial sale of organs and tissue (or
any sale for that matter) but because of fear that it might happen.

Mike Holloway
mhollowa at epo.som.sunysb.edu