CALL FOR DISCUSSION: BIO-WWW/bionet.software.www

Foteos Macrides macrides at sci.wfeb.edu
Mon Jun 6 09:36:45 EST 1994

In article <CMM.0.90.2.770626592.kristoff at net.bio.net>, biosci-help at NET.BIO.NET (BIOSCI Administrator) writes:

> We have received a proposal below for a new newsgroup,
>
> BIO-WWW/bionet.software.www
>
>[...]
>  Based  on  a Workshop  at the WWW'94  conference  "WWW in  BIOLOGY",
>  a group  of enthusiastic  researchers  propose the  above-mentioned
>  moderated mailing list / newsgroup / public  archive to  be created:
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>[...]
>          Achievements  are  exposed  on a WWW server simultaneously.
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>[...]

Reinhard,

	I've read the proposed charter, and the discussion about it thus
far, and even as a "WWW enthusiast" who is "reasonably" knowledgeable about
the Web at this point, it's still not clear to me what you are proposing
beyond creation of an E-Mail/NEWS group in the biosci hierarchy.  I realize
that some of this vagueness may be due to not wanting to pin yourself down
at a time when the Web software and protocols are rapidly expanding.

	However, if at the conclusion of a vote the group passed, in addition
to the net.bio.net and daresbury.ac.uk folks setting up email and news feeds
for the groups, particular things that are possible with the existing Web
software and protocols would have to be set up.  Would you mind spelling out,
more EXPLICITLY what those additional, PARTICULAR things, at THAT point in
time, would be?
				Fote