sea squirts and tenure

David G. Rhodes rhodes at MODEL.PHR.UTEXAS.EDU
Tue Jun 7 13:19:25 EST 1994

--- Forwarded mail from "Thomas E. Rhodes" <trhodes at usaid.gov>

To: rhodes

Hi: did that guy ever get his reference?

- I don't know, but I'll post it - Thanks

> 'the juvenile sea squirt wanders through the sea searching for a
suitable rock
> of hunk of coral to cling to and make its home for life.  for this
task, it has
> a rudimentaly nervous system.  when it finds its spot and takes
root, it
> doesnt need its brain anymore so it eats it! (it's rather like
getting tenure.)'

it's from Conciousness Explained, by Daniel Dennet, p. 177.

--- End of forwarded mail from "Thomas E. Rhodes" <trhodes at usaid.gov>

SO - -  for any who wanted to know...

| David G. Rhodes                   | RHODES at MODEL.PHR.UTEXAS.EDU   |
| Pharmaceutics Division            |                               |
| College of Pharmacy               | Phone:(512)471-4681           |
| The University of Texas at Austin | Fax:  (512)471-7474      }:)  |
| Austin, TX   78712-1074           |                               |