Evolution is inevitable

C. Titus Brown brown at schedir.krl.caltech.edu
Tue Jun 7 22:15:34 EST 1994

In article <1994Jun8.005652.3748 at chemabs.uucp>,  <wmh69 at cas.org> wrote:
>Please define evolution.  Many people use the term incorrectly; i.e., evolution
>is the search for the perfect form.  Evolutionary theory in a broad sense
>merely states that organisms react to changes in environment through natural
>selection.  This is neither good nor bad nor up nor down.

Unfortunately I seem to have lost the original post.

But from the subject, let's say that your definition is what the original
poster meant.  (I'll take it that way, at least.  A very reasonable
definition, IMHO.)

>Evolution is only a theory.  Almost all of our scientific "facts" from all
>the major branches of science are only theories.  Many theories have been
>"proven" wrong in the past, and I am sure that some number of our present
>theories will be scoffed at in the future.  If a theory cant stand on its
>own under scrutiny, then it wasnt much of a theory to begin with.

It's a theory that has proven useful and that has been (to some degree)
reproduced, so (IMHO) it can't be all wrong...

>This is, of course, only a theory.

:)

--T

--