Altering genes

Ezekial mic2mcb at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jun 9 06:49:52 EST 1994

frazer at albnyvms.bitnet wrote:

: With the ability through genetic engineering to alter genes that show a
: person will have a disability or illness, should we alter them?  That is,
: because we have the ability to do so, should we use this ability?

I think that you should give more thought to the question. With what you
have actually asked there is only one possible answer within medical ethics
at any rate. The hippocratic oath say, "I will prolong life....I will
alleiviate suffering". Says it all really doesn't it. It seem to me that
a much more sensible question to ask is whether alterationsto germ line
genes should be allowed. That is alterations that can be passed on to
children.
* Sometimes we choose our paths, sometimes our choices *
* are made for us and sometimes we have no choice at   *
* all.........                      Neil Gaiman.       *