Altering genes

Ken Brown rkjb at cix.compulink.co.uk
Thu Jun 9 17:51:53 EST 1994

Wendy S., posting as frazer at albnyvms.bitnet () wrote:

> With the ability through genetic engineering to alter genes that show a
> person will have a disability or illness, should we alter them?  That is,
> because we have the ability to do so, should we use this ability?

Yes, do it. Not "because we have the ability to do so" but because it stops
someone getting sick.

Don't think of "a person", think of yourself, or your own child, or your
mother. If someone could tell you that you had a 90% chance of developing
diabetes but a simple medical procedure could prevent it  can you imagine
saying "no"?