(Fwd) Metered Use of Internet (fwd)

David G. Rhodes rhodes at MODEL.PHR.UTEXAS.EDU
Fri Jun 10 09:36:22 EST 1994

--- Forwarded mail from James L Letchworth <anjll at utxdp.dp.utexas.edu>

To: <$ANIMAL at utxdp.dp.utexas.edu>

The following message is forwarded from another list I subscribe to:

>A very bad storm is brooding on the horizon.
>
>In the future, you might have to pay a charge for every E-mail
>message you send or receive, every Usenet article you read,
>every kilobyte of data you transfer with ftp, every hypertext
>link you follow with NCSA Mosaic or Gopher...
>
>Hopefully this frightens you as much as it does me.
>But it will happen, unless YOU do something about it.
>
>Please read the attached, fill out the requested info, and
>mail it back to mike at essential.org.  It also wouldn't hurt to
>forward a copy of this to everyone you know on the Internet.
>
>Thanks for your support.
>
>Craig Smith, <bcs at cs.tamu.eduor <craig at stat.tamu.edu>
>Texas A&M University, Dept. of Computer Science
>205 HRBB, 862-2084 (CPSC).   [PGP2 Public Key Available on Request]
>---
>
>TAXPAYER ASSETS PROJECT - INFORMATION POLICY NOTE
>May 7, 1994
>
>-    Request for signatures for a letter to NSF opposing metered
>pricing of Internet usage
>
>-    Please repost this request freely
>
>The letter will be sent to Steve Wolff, the Director of
>Networking and Communications for NSF.  The purpose of the letter
>is to express a number of user concerns about the future of
>Internet pricing.  NSF recently announced that is awarding five
>key contracts to telephone companies to operate four Internet
>"Network Access Points" (NAPs), and an NSF funded very high speed
>backbone (vBNS).  There have been a number of indications that
>the telephone companies operating the NAPs will seek permission
>from NSF to price NAPs services according to some measure of
>Internet usage.  The vBNS is expected to act as a testbed for new
>Internet pricing and accounting schemes.  The letter expresses
>the view that metered pricing of Internet usage should be
>avoided, and that NSF should ensure that the free flow of
>information through Internet listserves and file server sites is
>preserved and enhanced.
>
>Jamie Love, Taxpayer Assets Project (love at essential.org; but
>unable to answer mail until May 15).  Until then, direct
>inquires to Michael Ward.
>
>If you are willing to sign the letter, send the following
>information to Mike Ward of the Taxpayer Assets Project
>(mike at essential.org, fax: 202/234-5176; voice: 202/387-8030;
>P.O. Box 19367, Washington, DC 20036):
>
>Names:    ___________________________
>Title:    ___________________________   (Optional)
>Affiliation:   ____________________________________
>(for purposes of identification only)
>Address:       ______________________________________
>City; St, Zip  ________________________________
>Email Address: _____________________________________
>Voice:         __________________________________
>for verification)
>
>The letter follows:
>
>Steve Wolff
>Director
>Division of Networking and Communications
> [...]

--- End of forwarded mail from James L Letchworth
<anjll at utxdp.dp.utexas.edu>

| David G. Rhodes                   | RHODES at MODEL.PHR.UTEXAS.EDU   |
| Pharmaceutics Division            |                               |
| College of Pharmacy               | Phone:(512)471-4681           |
| The University of Texas at Austin | Fax:  (512)471-7474      }:)  |
| Austin, TX   78712-1074           |                               |