Dealing with biosci.src - reply to a comment from Fote Macrides

Reinhard Doelz doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Fri Jun 10 01:05:39 EST 1994

David Kristofferson (kristoff at net.bio.net) wrote:
: >I hate it when I do WAIS searches of biosci.src, and the hits are all old,
: >obsolete messages, and I can't think of a query that'll generate hits for the
: >latest, current, correct information...

: This is definitely a problem, and I've been contemplating establishing
: a separate index that only includes "recent" messages.  I'd like some
: feedback on how we should define "recent."

'recent' would be a year back in my view.

I tried various methods with my private mailbox (>80 messages/day) which
I WAIS'ed to find things more quickly. Possible solutions were:

(1) Make annual sources to be searched individually
(2) make 'threaded' indices so that only one is shown
	- sorry, I don't know how to do this
(3) Keep everything as is and introduce a postprocessor

As a result, only (expensive and cumbersome) manual filtering helped.
Unless we make bionet.software.www moderated the same fate is envisaged
there :-)

Regards
Reinhard