Horshoe crab shell composition

William C. Banta WCBANTA at auvm.american.edu
Fri Jun 10 21:32:54 EST 1994

I did not look up this up, but if the exoskeleton is like that of
most arthropods it is about 90% scleroprotein and about 10% chitin.
It would indeed make a fairly good compost, if shreaded and allowed
to decompose for a while.  I cannot give you a decent reference,
but there have been a number of studies of things to do with Limulus
and blue crab exoskeletons.  For example, they were thought to make
decent substitutes for cigarette tobacco.  I think that if you
research it a little that you could plug into this literature.