Critical rate of mutations

Kevin P. O'Connell oconne18 at
Mon Jun 13 20:07:00 EST 1994

In Article <1994Jun13.144451.11047 at> "brianf at (Brian Foley)" says:
> Megan Mignerey (megan at wrote:
> : Hi,
> : 	I need some information on examples of species shortening the
> : genome length in order to avoid an insupportable number of mutations and
I believe flax alters it's genome size in response to environmental stress.
It's been a while since I read this literature, but the phenomenon has been
known for a while and I think it's referred to in Watson et al.'s text on
molecular biology.  Sorry I can't recall the particulars!