IMPORTANT: Serious violation of bionet.prof-society.* vote

Una Smith una at doliolum.biology.yale.edu
Mon Jun 20 15:16:54 EST 1994

In an article posted to bionet.announce Thursday (included below), David
Kristofferson apparently refers to an article I posted in bionet.general
and news.groups on 4 June, nearly three weeks ago.  He accuses the poster
(me) of committing a "serious violation" of his policy.

David Kristofferson <biovote at net.bio.net> wrote:

>It has come to my attention that a graduate student who is personally
>opposed to the bionet.prof-society.* proposal which is currently
>undergoing a vote, recently took an action in outright violation of
>stated BIOSCI voting policy.
>
>In a stated attempt to bring in negative votes from outside the BIOSCI
>readership community, an appeal was made in the news.groups and
>bionet.general newsgroups for NO votes on the following proposal after
>the Call for Votes was issued.  The voting policy, as can be seen at
>the end of the CFV below, has always explicitly forbidden the posting
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>of vote solicitations after the issuance of the CFV and was
>particularly intended to prevent postings on non-BIOSCI forums to
>avoid influencing the outcome of votes by people who do not regularly
>participate in these newsgroups.

        Here is the relevant sentence from below, verbatim:

        "Discussion of the newsgroup proposal is now closed and
        we strongly discourage posting any messages in other forums
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        about the fact that a CALL FOR VOTES has been issued."

>This policy is important because the
>number of votes needed to approve or disapprove a BIOSCI proposal are
>lower than those in the USENET mainstream by design, i.e., to put less
>obstacles in the face of biologists' use of the net.  These lower
>limits only make sense within the context of the size of the BIOSCI
>community, not when the users of the Internet at large are invoked.
>
>In particular an appeal to the news.groups newsgroup is an attempt to
>have non-biologists, e.g., news systems administrators who may know
>nothing of the issues discussed about this proposal, send in votes to
>influence the outcome.
>
>There are clear grounds to declare the vote invalid and start over
>again because of this interference, but, since I have two major
>professional societies (FASEB and ASCB) currently awaiting the outcome
>of the vote on this proposal and other FASEB-affiliated societies who
>will likely follow later, and since this would give the graduate
>student in question the pleasure of having singlehandedly delayed the
>process for these societies by several more weeks, I am issuing instead
>one final appeal to the BIOSCI readership, i.e., the biology
>community, not USENET administrators who are unfamiliar with the
>issues involved on this proposal, to give me their opinion on this
>issue.  Assuming that there are no further posts in violation of our
>policies, I will abide by the outcome of the vote.  Please send in to
>biovote at net.bio.net either your "YES ON PS-EXEMPT" or "NO ON
>PS-EXEMPT" vote before 00 hrs Pacific Time on 27 June as detailed
>below.  If you missed the discussion about this proposal held late
>last month on bionet.general, you can find it in the archives on
>net.bio.net via gopher in the BIOFORUM folder under item 9405 or via
>FTP in pub/BIOSCI/BIOFORUM/9405.
>
>                               Sincerely,
>
>                               David Kristofferson, Ph.D.
>                               BIOSCI/bionet Manager
>
>                               biosci-help at net.bio.net

Here's the appended copy, verbatim, of the CFV that David Kristofferson
mentions above.  Note that it is the second CFV, which was posted this
week, long after my article to bionet.general and news.groups.

	Una Smith			smith-una at yale.edu