Screening glycerol-producing organisms

Charles Kosan kosanc at caelab1.cae.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 21 10:24:28 EST 1994

Hi everyone!

I am looking for a rapid method to screen glycerol-producing microorganisms.
There are about 12000 candidates I have to screen.

There is a paper in Journal of Microbiological Methods (1983) 339-342:
"A rapid screening method to detect ethanol production by microorganisms" by
Cornelius Johannes Jacobs, Bernard Alexander Prior, and Micahel Josias de Kock.
They used enzyme and certain dyes then poured them directly on the petri plate,
the ethanol-producing organims will have a certain distinctive color.

I would really appreciate it if you could inform me where I can find a similar
method for glycerol, or any other methods you think is applicable.
Please e-mail me, any suggestions welcomed.

Thank you.

Charles Kosan

kosanc at caelab1.cae.wisc.edu