Big Bang

tivol at tethys.ph.albany.edu tivol at tethys.ph.albany.edu
Tue Jun 21 15:01:45 EST 1994

Several posters have said that the baloon analogy indicates that there is no
center of the expansion.  There *is* a center of the baloon's expansion; it's
just not on the surface, thus not observable to 2-D beings.  There is a het-
erogeneity in the background radiation, and one explanation is that this in-
dicates the center.  I don't know whether the last word is in on this yet.
	There are possible metrics for the universe compatable with general
relativity for which distances and velocities can appear quite different; one
such due to De Sitter features curvature in the time dimension.  In this sys-
tem the observed expansion can be explained by the tendency for a particle
to be accelerated away from the origin unless it started out at the origin.
BTW, on the "small" scale of the part of the universe we see, this accelera-
tion is not measurable, so the theory *is* compatable with everyday Newtonian
physics.  In other systems distance between two points depends on how far the
points are from the center.  In that universe, every point appears to be the
center.
	Of the four types of photon, 2 transverse, 1 longitudinal and 1 scalar,
only two exist free.  Before the decoupling, could light have consisted of a
different mix than all-transverse?  Please do not flame without proper care.

					Yours,

					Bill Tivol