exotic mammal

Michael van Waes bi__mvw at SELWAY.UMT.EDU
Wed Jun 22 11:29:33 EST 1994

>Dear Bioforum Netters;
>
>I am hoping that someone out there can provide some information about a mammal
>whose common name is vischacha.  I don't think that it is a dance, but like
>some information about it, such as genus and species, general family (it is a
>rabbit creature, for example), and care and feeding.   Any information is
>greatly appreciated.   Also, are they worth $1200.  This is being posted for
>someone else.  No one that I know, knows what these animals are.  Thanks in
>advance.  Reply via bioforum or my e-mail address (mkolotila at ecn.mass.edu)
>Thanks again.
>
>Michael

 I'm sorry I can't help you with the systematics, but "vizcachas" are
 burrowing animals (I think it's a rodent, but don't quote me on that).
 As far as care goes, they eat roots and grasses and leguminosae (they particularly
 like alfalfa, clover and such, but they are not picky at all). About their worth,
 that's arguable. If they cost $1200, you are better off going to the pampas
 (Argentina, or Uruguay) and somebody may just pay you that much to rid them of their
 vizcachas and the concommittant vizcacheras, which are the holes in the ground they
 make. Like gophers, they build large underground networks.
    Now that I think about it, they are probably a different gopher species. In other
 words, don't spend $1,200.

    Cheers!			Michael van Waes.