exotic mammal

CGE at CU.NIH.GOV CGE at CU.NIH.GOV
Wed Jun 22 09:12:54 EST 1994

The following was gleaned from Walker's 'Mammals of the World'
(1975 edition but I doubt much has changed):

There are two distinct genera of mammals known as Vizcacha -
the Plains Vizcacha (Lagostomus maximus) from Argentina and
the Mountain Vizcacha (four species in the genus Lagidium:
L. viscacia, L. peruanum, L. boxi and L. wolffsohni) from
Peru, Argentina, Chile and Bolivia. They are rodents not rabbits.
One of the Lagidium species is probably what you are looking for.
Both genera are in the family Chinchillidae (Lagidium looks
a lot like a Chinchilla) and are herbivores (grasses mostly).
I imagine raising them is similar to raising chinchillas for
which books can be found in many pet stores.

Graham