Phycology

Chuck Amsler U52809 at uicvm.uic.edu
Wed Jun 22 07:04:21 EST 1994

In article <CrsL5E.24H at liverpool.ac.uk>, mperrins at liverpool.ac.uk (Mr M.F.
Perrins) says:

>I know this might be the wrong place for such a request, but could anyone
>point me towards a discussion group for phycologists? I'm specifically
>interested in intertidal macroalgae, if a such a group exists.

  I don't think that the author of the following will mind me reposting
it here.  There is a new listserv group for phycologists that replaced a
fairly new e-newsletter called Algal News.  Algal News had >180 subscribers,
if I remember correctly, even though it was new within the last year.

 -- Chuck Amsler:  U52809 at uicvm.uic.edu
       Dept. Microbiology & Immunology,  Univ. of Illinois @ Chicago

======================================================================== 65
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 1994 09:47:40 +0000 (GMT)
From: Seos mac Carthaigh <Seosamh.macCarthaigh at UCG.IE>
Subject: signing on to ALGAE-L

Dear Colleague:

Some people have experienced difficulties signing on to ALGAE-L, the public
list that replaced Algal News and which will in future distribute messages of
common interest to phycologists who subscribe.  Please note that I cannot
subscribe on you behalf and that you must follow this procedure:

1.  SUBSCRIBING

Send a mail message to  LISTSERV at IRLEARN.UCD.IE  [please note that it is NOT
"LISTSERVER" but "LISTSERV"] with no subject heading and the single line:
SUB ALGAE-L followed, on the same line by your first name and your second name
[please note that it is NOT "ALGAL-L"].

2.  REVIEWING

Send a mail message to  LISTSERV at IRLEARN.UCD.IE  [please note that it is NOT
"LISTSERVER" but "LISTSERV"] with no subject heading and the single line:

REVIEW ALGAE-L

This will result in your being sent a list of all the current members that have
subscribed to ALGAE-L.

3. SENDING A MESSAGE

To send a message to all the people currently subscribed to the list, just send
your mail message to ALGAE-L at IRLEARN.UCD.IE.  This is  called "sending  mail to
the list", because you send mail to a single address and LISTSERV makes copies
for all the people  who  have subscribed. Be sure to include your e-mail
address at the end of any such message. Try not to send frivolous messages as
people will rapidly signoff the list and its effect will be diminished.

Please contact me directly if you have any further difficulties.

Mike Guiry [mike.guiry at ucg.ie]

Michael D. Guiry                        Phone:  +353-91-750410
Dept of Botany                          Fax:    +353-91-750502
University College, Galway              E-Mail: mike.guiry at ucg.ie
The National University of Ireland
Galway, Ireland