Statistics

Andrew Wagner afwagner at STUDENTS.WISC.EDU
Thu Jun 23 10:25:53 EST 1994

As a beginner in statistics,  I have a question as to what method I should
use to compare some data.  This is the project.  We are looking at serum
marker levels in maternal serum (the triple screen).  Supposedly, these
levels change with freezing and thawing.  We will be running 10 freeze-thaw
cycles (aliquot, run the sample, freeze the rest, thaw, aliquot, run
sample, freeze the rest...)

Anyway, this will mean that we will have 10 data points for 10 patients.
We would be statistically comparing each numbered cycle (all of the first
runs, all of the second runs, all of the third runs...)  They will be
averaged for the 10 patients.

What would be the best statistical method to use?  I am familiar with the
student's "t" test.  Would ANOVA work better?  Which kind of "t" test would
work the best?

Andy Wagner
research assistant
Dept. of OB/GYN