What makes a calico cat?(Mom and Pop cats)

dallas at mcvax4.d48.lilly.com dallas at mcvax4.d48.lilly.com
Thu Jun 16 13:41:51 EST 1994

In article <2tkmtu$hhu at news.doit.wisc.edu>, lehn at islet.medsch.wisc.edu writes:

> In article <2tiqrk$7kb at jaws.cs.hmc.edu>, <purves at jarthur.cs.hmc.edu> writes:
>> >you want to enlighten me on that score as well!
>>
>> A male calico cat doesn't come about... the male is hemizygous for this
>> locus and will express only the color determined by the allele it
>> carries on its single X chromosome.
>
> I saw where someone did have a male calico cat.  Turned out it was
> XXY.  (I reckon this wasn't a "TRUE" male cat though since it was
> sterile.)

Gee, sounds like old times.  What is the genetic outcome of a calico cat?
(This question is paraphrased from a test question in 1965!)  I answered  that
the cat was sterile.  Unfortunately at this time I can't remember whether I
stated which sex, but, nevertheless, did not get credit for the answer.  Seems
like it would have been important to the cat!  Damn!

Jim Miller--deja vu, all over again.