What makes a calico cat?

Daniel Wendel dpw8960 at u.cc.utah.edu
Sat Jun 25 14:21:53 EST 1994

In article <94062312133300 at hugo.fsufay.edu>,
 <prfwaddle at HUGO.FSUFAY.EDU> wrote:

Good explanation of calico cats deleted ---

>Calico cats and the XXY condition are easy to find in genetics and general
>biology textbooks.  What I don't understand is why X-linked mosaicism has
>not apparently been described in humans, at least not in the books I've
>checked.  About 1 in 40 women ought to be heterozygous for colorblindness.

In my old basic genetics text (An Introduction to Genetic Analysis 5ed,
Griffiths, Miller, Suzuki, Lewontin), a condition called angidrotic
ectodermal dysplasia is described.  Affected women have areas of their
bodies without sweat glands in characteristic mosaic pattern.

--Daniel

--
===============It's more fun if you spell it with a "K!"===============
 Daniel Wendel  			 	Slightly Mad Biologist
	email: dpw8960 at u.cc.utah.edu -or- c-wdp at math.utah.edu