IMPORTANT: How to prevent future newsgroup voting problems?!?

Jonathan B. Marder MARDER at agri.huji.ac.il
Thu Jun 30 00:57:24 EST 1994

In article <Pine.3.89.9406281627.A1120-0100000 at cosy.ab.umd.edu> sdaviss at COSY.AB.UMD.EDU (Steven Roy Daviss) writes:
>Subject: Re: IMPORTANT: How to prevent future newsgroup voting problems?!?
>From: sdaviss at COSY.AB.UMD.EDU (Steven Roy Daviss)
>Date: 28 Jun 1994 14:02:40 -0700

>One suggestion is to allow any individual to create a prototype
>group (listserv) to get it going (as I believe now occurs).  However, all
>groups would start this way.

>Then, after a specified period of time (?4-6 months), those who are
>actually *subscribed* to the list can vote to turn it over to a USENET
>group, with some stipulations about number of people or number of
>postings.

To extend this idea, how about having the listserv automatically becoming a
newsgroup as soon as it hits a minimum subscription (e.g. over 100 for 2
weeks) within six months.  This would mean that obvious successes could
achieve newsgroup status very fast. The criterion for closure (once a
newsgroup is open) would remain lack of activity, or a vote (to allow
reorganization).
__
Jonathan B. Marder                 '
Department of Agricultural Botany  |     Internet: MARDER at agri.huji.ac.il
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem | /\/ Bitnet:   MARDER at HUJIAGRI
P.O.Box 12, Rehovot 76100, ISRAEL  /     Fax:      (08 or +9728) 467763