Why do we sleep?

Carl Morris carlm at iplmail.orl.mmc.com
Tue Mar 1 11:44:57 EST 1994

Kestrel wrote:
>Personally, the increase of temp when I fall asleep is dramatic enough for
>another to tell immediately that I am "over the brink".  Has anyone else
>noticed this phenomenon, or have a hypothesis about it?

When you lie down perhaps the bed insulates a significant portion of the
back of your body, thus reducing the total surface area through which you
can radiate the heat generated by your body.  To maintain temperature at
a constant value, the body would have to radiate an increased amount of
heat through the remaining surface area of your body.  Anyone out there
remember their thermodynamics well enough to comment?