Clipper: Should US govt read your mail?

Howard Cash cash at geneva.csmil.umich.edu
Tue Mar 1 15:17:06 EST 1994

Una, while I strongly agree that the clipper standard is an inappropriate
and dangerous use of technology to diminish personal privacy, I think that
your characterization is incorrect.  There is no proposal (not yet, at
least) to make clipper "the only legal form of encryption."  Rather the
clipper chip may come "standard" with all computers, making it the
encryption method of choice for those who do not recognize the inherent
danger of having data decrypted by a third party.  If the clipper chip
turns up on every PC and Macintosh, it will not be very attractive for
commercial software companies to create alternative encryption schemes,
but that's a far cry from saying that alternate schemes will be illegal.

-Hobie