Why do we sleep? / Increase in heat loss.

lappel at eagle.wesleyan.edu lappel at eagle.wesleyan.edu
Wed Mar 2 12:12:06 EST 1994

In article <199403011326.FAA19291 at net.bio.net>, SCHLOSSER at ciit.org (Paul Schlosser) writes:
> In <2kvehn$4k4 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>,
> mbkxb at s-crim1.dl.ac.uk (K.C. Baker) asks:
>
>>So, how do you increase radiative heat loss without increasing temperature?
>>Paint your skin matt black or grow radiator fins??
>
> No, just increase circulation to the skin.  This is a part of the normal
> heat-regulating mechanism.
(etc. etc., rest deleted)
	Actually, this can become a mjor problem in babies, who are not good at
regulating their body temperature.  A current theory of SIDS (aka crib death)
is that something such as an infection starts a temperature-raising
chain-reaction, and the baby, unable to cool itself, dies.  That is why parents
of newborns are told to have them sleep on their backs these days -- the face
is the best radiator of heat.

Laurel F. Appel    (LAPPEL at EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU)
Genetics Group
Dept of Biology
Wesleyan University
Middletown, CT  06459