A brief bioRFC abstract: Please respond and correct!

Robert m Waugh rmwaugh at sacam.OREN.ORTN.EDU
Wed Mar 2 23:24:20 EST 1994

This is a brief abstract of an idea I have been toying with for a while,
doing brief research into when I run across a related subject in the course
of my ecology/biology/oceanography work.  It is very raw in form and lean
on references as it was thrown together hapharzardly in the last year, off
and on.
Please respond with helpful facts/responses.  My theory discussed in this
abstract is my own, based on a number of other theories I have run across
in my research.  I maintain the theory presented in this abstract as my
own, and any potential use/development of this theory should reflect it's
origins in some manner.  Also, any development on this theory I would like
to have forwarded to me, as I am interested in the validity of my concepts
discussed.

Abstract (compliation of notes dating from 10/1991)
========
	The increase in greenhouse temperature effects would bring about
an increase in the latent temperature of the oceans and the crust of the
earth.  The ocean can act as a heat "battery", storing up heat and energy
slowly releasing it back into the atmosphere and the crust.  This increase
of the temperature of the crust would cause an increase in the volcanic
activity of the earth.  This is theorized based on the fact that if the
crust temperature increases, the mantle size then also increases, making
the crust become less stable.  The decreased stability of the crust then
would also bring about seismic activity.  This theory can be demonstrated
by the recent increase of volcanic and seismic activity in the Pacific
regions, and the increase of seismic activity in eastern europe/Russia.
As the latent temperature of the crust and teh ocean increases, the more
volcanic activity, and as a result of this volcanic activity, there would
be a great amount of sulphur in the atmosphere.  Sulphur has been found to
decrease the greenhouse effect and cool the environment down.  Thus, as
greenhouse gasses, such as carbon dioxide, rise, and the greenhouse effect
changes the latent temperature of the crust and the oceans, the sulphur
content of the atmosphere would increase and the greenhouse effect of the
other greenhouse gasses would be cancelled.
	During the period of high CO2 content, the earth would have a resulting
increase of plant life density.  This increase in plant life density then
decreases biodiversity.  Yet, when the sulphur content of the atmosphere
increases, the plant life density would decrease as the acidic propreties
of sulphuric acid would kill off more alkaline plant life.  Yet, as the
decrease in plant life occurs, the biodiversity increases.  Also, plants
would tend to mutate at a greater rate as a result of the dramatic shift in
climate and soil acidity.

Additional questions
Question: Do acidic plants tend to consume a greater amount of CO2?

References on facts available on request, if I can find them again.  I
do not have time to research this theory, although it is something that I
have been toying with for some time.