Canine Genetics

IZZYVD5 at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU IZZYVD5 at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU
Sat Mar 5 03:10:00 EST 1994

In article <01H9LBG7VHTY9LVLKL at delphi.com>,
HPUTZ at BIOTECHNET.COM writes:

>  I currently own both a Border Collie and a Cat.  I've been thinking
>about purchasing a hunting dog and have amazed to find out that there
>are over 500 distinct breeds of dogs the wprld(world) ovr(over).  Why
>such a vast genetic diversity in a species that is inherently adaptable
>to almost any environment?  Just a curriousity question for which any
>and all speculations are acceptable.  Pardon my poor typing abilities.
>I'm a little under the weather at this point.
>
>Henry Putz
>HPUTZ at BIOTECHNET>COM                                                   D
Just an undergraduate, but here's my guess:
   All those breeds of dogs are not due to natural selection but from
domestic breeding done by man.  So, over 500 groups of people around
the world started to breed dogs selecting for different attributs, and
you get over 500 breeds...
   This is right, ain't it?  Back me up, PhD. types.....