the most advanced species

Bob Rutledge brutledge at pnfi.forestry.ca
Mon Mar 7 00:41:21 EST 1994

In article <CLFsK9.1Dp at pnfi.forestry.ca> lmarshal at pnfi.forestry.ca (Larry Marshall) writes:
>From: lmarshal at pnfi.forestry.ca (Larry Marshall)
>Subject: Re: the most advanced species
>Date: Fri, 18 Feb 1994 20:21:42 GMT

>In <2k2t6t$4i3 at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> aabuin at bcm.tmc.edu (Alejandro Abuin) writes:

>>     In fact, aren't living creatures with short life cycles (I.E.
>>bacteria) much more advanced than us? .... the rationale being that they
>>have had countless more generations than us to take advantage of?

>Well... most cockroach species seemed to have determined they were
>the "best that they could be" a long time ago.  We still have to join
>the army, or so sayeth my TV.

I have been following this thread with some amusement and couldn't resist a
followup to Larry's last posting.

I can remember a similar discussion in a genome evolution in a
grad course I took too many years ago to reveal.  I think that Larry's
comment illustrates well my conclusion then, which I still support today.
That is not to confuse adaptive success with evolutionary advancement.  To
suggest that bacteria or even the highly succesful cockroach is anywhere near
advanced as humans is nonsense.

Evolutionary advancement in its most basic form is the development of
increasingly more complex genetic "information" that is in part expressed as
the ability to express increasingly more complex structures and processes.  To
sit on my coach at home and make a news posting using a portable computer
while watching the news is pretty advanced!  Cockroaches of the world...beat
that!!

Bob Rutledge
Molecular Genetics and Tissue Culture
Petawawa National Forestry Institute