Danger !!!!

John Nash nash at nrcbsa.bio.nrc.ca
Mon Mar 7 16:10:23 EST 1994

In article <1994Mar7.193227.28787 at news.yale.edu>,
Frank Richardson <FRICHARD at biomed.med.yale.edu> wrote:
>In <9402077630.AA763068763 at email.afip.osd.mil> OLEARY at EMAIL.AFIP.OSD.MIL writes:
>

>>      Please be aware of the following bulletin from the Norfolk
>>      Southern Police Department (VA) - This has also been confirmed
>
>>      There is a new gang initiation!
>>      This new "Initiation" of MURDER is brought about by gang
>>      members driving around with their car lights off.  When you
>>      flash your car lights to signal them that their lights are
>>      out, the gang members take it to literally mean "LIGHTS OUT!",
>>      so they follow you to your destination and kill you!  This
>last warning deleted
>
>I suppose I am greatful that this was posted...but, really - I am almost
>shocked that such warnings are posted to bionet. I suppose my fleeting bouts
>with cynacism spare me total befuddlement. Nice place we have made for
>ourselves here on Earth.  Jeez.
>Virtually annoyed
>FR

If you read "alt.folklore.urban", you will see that this is probably a
net.practical.joke gone too far.  After months of debate on "Lights
Out Killers" in that newsgroup, the consensus is that plenty of people
have come up with lots of warnings spread over the continent, but
nobody has come up with a single dead body caused by injudicious
flashing of headlights.

PS No FOAF stories allowed!  Read the a.f.u FAQ for more details.
PPS The Internet has been cracked - change your password.
PPPS There is a "net activity" of sorts called trolling.  Lots of
people do it, and then sit back and laugh.

--
John Nash                           (nash at nrcbsa.bio.nrc.ca)
Institute for Biological Sciences,  National Research Council of Canada,