Canine Genetics

Mark D. Garfinkel garfinkl at iitmax.iit.edu
Mon Mar 7 14:30:46 EST 1994

HPUTZ at BIOTECHNET.COM writes:

> I've been [...]
>amazed to find out that there
>are over 500 distinct breeds of dogs the wprld(world) ovr(over).  Why
>such a vast genetic diversity in a species that is inherently adaptable
>to almost any environment? [...]
	I think naturally occurring genetic variation in the initial
breeding stock followed by centuries of artificial selection &
inbreeding are sufficient to explain the dramatic differences in stature
and behavior exhibited by contemporary dog breeds. These, and the
occasional spontaneous mutation.

Mark
--
Mark D. Garfinkel (e-mail: garfinkl at iitmax.acc.iit.edu)
My views are my own, which is why they're copyright 1994