RE; Canine Genetics

HPUTZ at BIOTECHNET.COM HPUTZ at BIOTECHNET.COM
Mon Mar 7 12:14:00 EST 1994

I'm afraid the original post didn't convey the question I
had in mind.  I'm aware that the number of canine breeds is due
largely to the activities of breeders.  However, what I don't understand
is why the canine species needs to possess such a vast genetic
potential.  There are not that many sp breeds of wild dogs
in nature, so it doesn't seem as though a potential for
high variability is necessary for species survival.  How doesn't
the gentically variabilioty of dogs compare with other
species?  Is there another explanation  for this phenomena
other than saying it makes the species adaptable to
environmental changes?

Henry Putz
HPUTZ at BIOTECVHNET(BIOtechnet.com)