Why do we sleep?

Karl Hahn hahn at newshost.lds.loral.com
Mon Mar 7 12:44:02 EST 1994

In article <2lc1mj$89j at auggie.CCIT.Arizona.EDU> robertd at argon.gas.uug.arizona.edu (Robert Dejournett) writes:

>     I think you all are missing the key issue, i think that animals sleep
>   for evolutionary reassons; those with good day vision can't do much at night,
>   so they 'shutdown', oposite for those nocternile things.  You notice that
>   sponges and clams and other 'lower' animals don't sleep.

Any theory of why we sleep would have to account for the dolphins, who
apparently sleep half their brains at a time.  If sleep were only because
of day or night vision, why would dolphins have such an elaborate mechanism
to insure constant alertness when they could just as easily have discarded
sleep altogether.

--
|         (V)              |  "Tiger gotta hunt.  Bird gotta fly.
|   (^    (`>              |   Man gotta sit and wonder why, why, why.
|  ((\\__/ )               |   Tiger gotta sleep.  Bird gotta land.
|  (\\<   )   der Nethahn  |   Man gotta tell himself he understand."
|     ( /                  |                Kurt Vonnegut Jr.