Why do we sleep?

Naomi kestrel at unm.edu
Tue Mar 8 14:36:36 EST 1994

In article <2lc1mj$89j at auggie.ccit.arizona.edu>,
Robert Dejournett <robertd at argon.gas.uug.arizona.edu> wrote:
>  I think you all are missing the key issue, i think that animals sleep
>for evolutionary reassons; those with good day vision can't do much at night,
>so they 'shutdown', oposite for those nocternile things.  You notice that
>sponges and clams and other 'lower' animals don't sleep.
>
>-Rob

I doubt a clam has a very active imagination, either.  Sleep introduces us
to the surreal--perhaps our conscious imagination bases itself off of
what it "observes" during subconscious activity.  The sleep cycle almost
seems like a second life, hidden away there in the dark and secret places
of nightlife.  If our lives, as we perceive them, are largely created by
the limits of our minds (our concept of "reality" is determined by our
perception, and every person, having a different perception, sees reality
and the world in a different light), the subconscious' creation during
sleep could be viewed as an extention our reality.  The life we skip, or
miss, during waking life, so to say.  Sleep, for humans at least, is much
more than just an evolutionary mechanism to compensate for our lack of
night vision and body hair.

I pity the sponge its lack of sleep; it misses a lot.

8-)

Kestrel