Seeking asparagus info

Beverly Erlebacher bae at
Tue Mar 8 13:28:21 EST 1994

In article <2ldrhe$6g0 at> piggy at (La Monte Yarroll) writes:
>There is something in aparagus which causes a specific odour in urine
>in certain individuals.  Does anybody know what this substance is?
>We would appreciate any information on asparagus or related species.

There was a discusssion about this a few years ago on the net.  Someone
posted a reference. When the chemists examined the urine of those who do
and those who don't, they found out that *everybody* produces this compound
after eating asparagus, but only some people can smell it!

Sorry, I didn't save the discussion, but perhaps someone else did.