Pre-mRNA splicing-- kinetic control?

Eric E. Snyder eesnyder at beagle
Tue Mar 8 18:20:11 EST 1994

I have been trying to find a couple of references which support
or refute the following hypothesis:

    Pre-mRNA is or can be spliced differently depending on how quickly
    it is synthesized.

I have developed an computer program (NAR 21(3): 607-613) which predicts
the intron-exon structure of human genes (and thus the splicing pattern)
using a dynamic programming.  The algorithm implicitly assumes splicing
starts with the whole transcript.  However, clearly the 3'-end of the
transcript is hanging out in space for a while before the transcript is
finished.  The question is, does this make a difference?  Has anyone
seen any papers that address this possibility directly?  Lots of people
claim that it might be true but I have never seen an experiment testing
it...

Thanks for any useful input or suggestions...

Eric E. Snyder
Department of MCD Biology              ...making feet for childrens' shoes.
University of Colorado, Boulder
Boulder, Colorado 80309-0347