libel laws

L.A. Moran lamoran at gpu.utcc.utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 9 10:08:20 EST 1994

David Kristofferson wrote (in two separate postings):

    "*** I CAUTION READERS*** that libel laws *do* apply to anything that
     you decide to post, so those who feel that they can say anything with
     impunity on the newsgroups are seriously deluding themselves."

    "I am concerned in general that too many  people believe that they
     can shoot their mouths off without consequence on the net and am
     trying to warn everyone in advance that freedom is not unlimited."

Dave, you mentioned an article in INTERNET WORLD in which someone was sued
for libel. Was the suit successful? I'm sure that many of us would appreciate
it if you could find the article and post a summary.

I assume that the trial took place in the United States and that American
laws applied. Many of us are not American citizens and do not live in the US.
Do you know if our freedoms are also limited by American libel laws?

I realize that YOU are bound by the laws of your own country but does that
mean that the rest of us have to be aware of these laws as well? Can an
American sue ME under American law for something I said in bionet.general?
If so, that doesn't seem fair. Can someone in China or Cuba sue YOU under
their laws if they take offense at what you say? Is Iraq on the net?

Laurence A. Moran (Larry)