Endosymbiotic origin of Cholorplast and Mitochondrian???

Erling Fl›istad erling.floistad at ihb.nlh.no
Sat Mar 19 11:43:28 EST 1994

In message <CMw97F.57G at zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU> - jsmith at mondrian.CSUFresno.EDU (Jeff Smith) writes:
>  I have a question about the possiblility that the modern Chloroplast and
>Mitochondrian originated from the phagocytosis of a prokaryotic cell or the
>symbiotic relationship between a prokaryotic cell and a eukaryotic cell. (and
>sorry about the misspelling of Chloroplast in the title!).
>
>  The main thing I have trouble understanding is the possiblity of the
>phagocytosis of the prokaryotic cell.  Since we know that the prokaryotic cell
>is membrane bound and if call that the 1st membrane, then when the phagocytosis
>occurs it would create a second membrane, correct?  So, how does this membrane
>(the now double membrane) get passed on geneticly to future decendents?
>
>  Does my question make sense?  If so, can anyone help me clear this up?  Any
>help would be appreciated.
>  Thanks in advance... :)

Yep. it makes sense.
But in my private opinion, i find no conflict in this issue.
Both the chloroplanst and mitochondria do have double membranes,
they are even critical for normal function and energy partitionin.

They are passed on by simple division pf plastids.  Plastids are not coded
for genetically, they have some DNA themselves, and import some components
that are coded for in the nucleus.  But they are never entirely rebuilt
from scratch in the cell.

In seeds, i perceive that there are tiny proplastids which are made by
the "mother" plant, by division of "mother chloroplasts", and are located
in the eggcell.

Me: Erling Floistad      		Snail mail: Box 5022
    Ph.D.Student				    N-1432 AAS
    Vegetable Growing				    NORWAY
    Ag.Univ.of Norway			Phone     :+47 64947826
					Fax       :+47 64947802