Any precautions for handling DNA?

Hank Roberts hank at well.sf.ca.us
Wed Mar 23 00:59:31 EST 1994

I have a vague recollection that since my undergrad days 30
years ago, when DNA was thought to be biologically inactive in
purified form (safe to handle in the lab), that some problems
were found and some additional precautions (gloves, etc)
started being used at least for some preparations.

Can't place the memory, though it was five or more years ago
that I came across this.

Help me recollect; was I reading Nature, or was it Analog?  :-)
Post or email, I don't mind finding out my memory's wrong if so.