Does HIV kill cells?

anthonyp at anthonyp at
Thu Mar 24 11:41:36 EST 1994

In article <2ms7g1$jn1 at>, <weemba at>
> One version--perhaps worth calling a third mechanism--of this is
> Hoffman's network theory.  There is surprising homology between
> gp120 and MHC(II), which is expressed on T-cells.  Hoffman theorizes
> that anti-gp120 antibodies also attack MHC(II) T-cells.
> --
> -Matthew P Wiener (weemba at

That's an interesting hypothesis.  So, cell death would be the result of
an auto-immune response.  This certainly has alot of precedence.

Of course, it is also a remarkably easy hypothesis to test.  A couple of
western blots and IP's should get you well on your way.  And of course, I
assume it is known that class II cells are killed selectively--that is
implicit in the hypothesis.  Have any data been published on this?  (I
confess to not reading all the current lit on this subject...barely have
time to read what's new in my own field).
Also, in what context was the hypothesis published?  (A review?)  I would
think any peer reviewer would ask for data if it were in a research
publication, since the esperiment is so easy.

Anthony J. Pelletier  Ph.D.
The Scripp's Research Inst.
La Jolla, CA.